“Delicious doesn’t have to be difficult.”
When your mother is a qualified chef, you naturally inherit the foodie gene; and you’re able to whip up a thousand delights and make it look effortless. Such is the case with Natalie, the food enthusiast who heads up the ‘Young and Hungry’ blog.
Natalie’s apron-clad heroes also include her “kitchen husband,” Jamie Oliver, and the much-celebrated gourmet chef Heston Blumenthal. Natalie doesn’t discriminate when it comes to food, but she does admit to having a soft spot for the rich flavours of Asian cuisine.
REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR YOUNG AND HUNGRY; TO STAND A CHANCE TO WIN R1 000 CASH. TS AND CS APPLY.
Creamy Breakfast Popsicles
Packed with fresh berries, NutriDay’s Mixed Berry Yogurt and homemade crunchy granola are deliciously healthy, on-the-go popsicles with everything you need to start your day off just right.
Serves 6 to 8
For the popsicle base:
- 250ml (1 cup) NutriDay’s Mixed Berry Yogurt
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 10ml (1 tsp) honey
- 250ml (1 cup) frozen mixed berries
- 6-8 wooden ice cream sticks
- 6-8 popsicle molds
For the homemade granola:
- 125ml (½ cup) rolled oats
- 1 tsp raw almonds, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) raw honey
- 5ml (1 tsp) melted coconut oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
How to make the granola:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Mix the rolled oats and chopped almonds in a bowl.
- Place a sheet of baking paper onto an oven tray and spread the mixture evenly.
- Toast in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the oats are toasting, combine the honey, coconut oil, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Once the oats have finished toasting, drizzle the honey mixture and stir until combined.
- Then on the same baking paper, spread a single layer of the oat mixture and place in the oven.
- Turn the oven OFF – this will allow the granola to finish toasting without burning.
- Let it sit in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
For the popsicle base:
- Mix the milk, yogurt and honey into a bowl.
- Divide the mixture between your popsicle molds.
- Place a few berries into each mould.
- Evenly distribute the granola into the molds.
- Then place a wooden ice cream stick into each mould and place the popsicles into the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- To remove the popsicles, run the molds under a little hot water until they come loose.